COQUITLAM, B.C., April 21, 2020 – With Earth Day approaching on April 22, the City of Coquitlam has rounded up some ideas to help residents plan their own celebration at home.
Earth Day Canada’s campaign for 2020 is about taking simple steps in your daily life to help the planet, on April 22 and every day – including during the current pandemic.
Celebrating Earth Day at Home
Some ways to recognize Earth Day in your household:
- Plant a garden, a pollinator plant, or a tree (many nurseries are providing online ordering and contactless pickup);
- Have a car-free day and reduce your greenhouse gas emissions;
- Eat locally grown, in-season fruit and vegetables;
- Create meals with whatever you have in the fridge to reduce food waste;
- Try a new plant-based recipe;
- Turn off your TV and pick up a book to save energy;
- Reduce digital pollution by unsubscribing from unnecessary emails; and
- Try mending your clothes so they can continue to be worn.
Coquitlam supports a variety of earth-friendly programs and activities:
Fun Earth Day Activities
Some ideas for individuals and families:
- Spend time in nature at one of Coquitlam’s lesser-known parks (e.g. hike in Ridge Park or enjoy views of the Fraser River at Pacific Reach Linear Park);
- Be an insect detective: Get out a magnifying glass to spot the insects that make your garden grow;
- Hunt for pollinators: Count and photograph the pollinators you see in your backyard or on your walk; and
- Make recycled garden lights: Learn how to transform a water bottle into a tulip shade for outdoor lights (search Bottle Tulip Lights at www.youtube.com/cityofcoquitlam.)