COQUITLAM, B.C., Apr. 3, 2020 – Coquitlam has cancelled all registered recreation programs until June 30 and delayed registration amid the COVID-19 health crisis, while providing online activities and continuing to plan for the summer.
The decision to extend the registered program cancellation until June 30 was based on factors such a desire to provide registrants with some certainty, the logistics involved in planning and cancelling programs, and the potential continued requirement for physical distancing.
June events and rentals at City parks and facilities have not yet been cancelled, however.
The next round of program registration, scheduled to begin Apr. 8, has been delayed indefinitely while staff adapt the City’s July and August programming to meet public health requirements while providing opportunities for residents to connect, be active and enjoy leisure activities.
Updates will be provided as the situation changes.
Automatic Refunds Provided
Those registered for a program in May will receive an automatic refund via an account credit within four weeks. After the refunds are processed, two options will be available:
- Do nothing and leave the credit on the account to be applied to future registrations; or
- Request to have the credit paid out by cheque by either calling 604-927-4386 or emailing PRCS Info (include a mailing address). Cheque refunds may take up to four weeks.
Free Activities Offered Online
To help Coquitlam residents stay well in mind and body, the City has developed a suite of free online fitness and family activities. New content and videos will be added regularly.
Suggestions for new online recreation resources are accepted at email feedback.
Event, Program and Facility Status
The following is in effect as of Apr. 2, but may change at any time based on health directives:
- City facilities remain closed to the public at this time.
- Facility bookings are being accepted for after June 1.
- Large events planned for June or later in City parks and facilities have not been cancelled.
- The City continues to plan popular annual summertime events such as Neighbourhood Nights, Canada Day, Summer Concert Series and Kaleidoscope.
The City will reach out to community event organizers if further cancellations are required. Organizers are also advised to monitor the latest Provincial Health Officer limits on gathering sizes. Cancellation fees related to COVID-19 are being waived.
For up-to-date information regarding the COVID-19 impacts to City facilities, programs, services and events:
Coquitlam residents are encouraged to follow the City of Coquitlam on social media (Facebook and Twitter) and download the CoquitlamConnect mobile app for up-to-date City information.
For more information on COVID-19, including updates, answers to frequently asked questions, and translated information, please consult the following resources: