COQUITLAM, B.C., Feb. 26, 2020 – Coquitlam is moving forward with plans to expand the City Centre Aquatic Complex, with a proposed renovation project now moving into the design phase.
The expansion will feature 841 square metres (9,055 square feet) of additional fitness centre space, multi-purpose area, meeting room and flexible space, as well as a renovated lobby and administration area.
Subject to City Council approval of the final design and budget, construction is anticipated to begin later this year, and is targeted for completion in late 2021.
- Usage reports have shown City Centre Aquatic Complex and Pinetree Community Centre are at, or over, capacity.
- Complex expansion will address immediate needs and help serve Coquitlam’s City Centre growth for the next 15 years.
- Feasibility studies showed that rebuilding the west wing of the complex was more cost effective than adding on to the existing structure.
- Space was identified in the current layout for the addition of portable bleachers and benches for aquatic spectator seating.
- The next phase involves detailed design drawings, permits and contracting.
Added Services and Amenities
In addition to better addressing the current facility demands, the expanded space is expected to provide for ongoing community growth in the coming decade. As a result of the renovation, patrons can expect:
- Increased number of group fitness classes
- Additional weekly spin classes
- More aquatic leadership programs scheduled per year
- Additional equipment for the Fitness Centre
- More space for stretching and free weights
- Increased space for childminding services
Additional Project Details
The City Centre Aquatic Complex expansion was identified among the City’s strategic priorities under the Healthy Communities and Active Citizens. Project funding is identified in the City’s five-year capital plan, and costs will be finalized during the detailed design phase.
For more information on the project visit www.coquitlam.ca/ccac or sign up for Parks, Recreation & Culture email updates at www.coquitlam.ca/enews.
About City Centre Aquatic Compex
Located on Pinetree Way, the City Centre Aquatic Complex is an aquatic and fitness facility with a free-form wave pool with water sprays and a lazy river, a slide, a rope swing, an eight-lane Olympic-sized lap pool, a relaxation area with a whirlpool, steam room and dry sauna and a number of accessible features.