COQUITLAM, BC, Sept 8, 2020 – As the days start to get shorter and students return to school, Coquitlam’s Bylaw Enforcement team is joining other public safety officials in urging road safety to keep all pedestrians and motorists safe.
The school zone speed limit is 30 km/h between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on school days. Coquitlam motorists are reminded to slow down in school zones as children return to school on Thursday, Sept. 10.
With a focus on public and road safety, Coquitlam’s Bylaw Enforcement team will be monitoring parking in areas around local schools and offer the following tips:
- Obey speed limits and no parking/stopping areas.
- Avoid distracted driving and keep your attention on the road.
- Watch for students walking and riding bikes to school.
- Pick-up and drop-off students in designated locations; don’t load or unload in the street.
Students and Pedestrians Are Reminded to Stop, Look, Wait
- Stop at the curb. Look for oncoming vehicles. Wait for vehicles to come to a complete stop before crossing.
- Always cross the road at an intersection or crosswalk. Don’t jaywalk.
- Avoid distractions. Put away electronic devices, cell phones and ear buds so you can hear approaching traffic.
- Be seen. Wear bright clothes or reflective gear to help increase your visibility.
A/Manager, Bylaw, Licensing and Animal Services