COQUITLAM, B.C., Oct. 6, 2020 – Finding information about Coquitlam at home or on the go is now easier than ever, with the launch of the City’s user-friendly new website on Thursday, Oct. 8.
Along with a fresh new look, the new website now offers improved navigation, a responsive design that works on all types of screens, scannable content, and new features that improve the user experience and access for visitors of all abilities.
Last updated in 2012, the website is an essential communication, engagement and business services tool for the City and community. According to Coquitlam’s annual Citizen Satisfaction Survey, it is one of the public’s preferred methods of communicating with the City and finding information.
Earmarked last year as top priority in 2020, the website overhaul became even more critical this year as the pandemic drove more people online for services.
To take a video tour of the updated website here.
Improved Navigation and New Features
Improvements to the site were based on best practices, public consultation and user data, to ensure it reflects how people prefer to access information online today as well as local trends and needs.
New or enhanced features include:
- User-friendly navigation and search functions;
- A responsive design that provides consistent viewing on any device or computer, while adhering to Web Content Accessibility Guidelines to assist visitors with hearing or visual impairments;
- A customizable new NotifyMe™ subscription service to receive City news and information on specific topics of interest;
- Updated and simplified content throughout, in a scannable format that limits scrolling; and
- A more prominent Service Requests section for asking questions or reporting problems.
Visitors now have a variety of ways to find information, including:
- A large homepage search bar with advanced search options;
- A new “How Do I?” drop-down menu with the most common search categories;
- Drop-down menus on all pages covering main points of interest: Your Government, Resident Services and Business Tools; and
- Graphic links on the homepage to popular sections and functions, including job searches and recreation registration.
The new site meets the latest security protocols and links seamlessly with other online services such as Council meeting webcasts, recreation registration and the CoquitlamConnect mobile app. It will also be easier for staff to update and manage.
Project Delivered Early
The project has included extensive research, several rounds of consultation with the public, staff and other stakeholders, content review and consolidation (cutting more than a quarter of the previous pages), internal and external testing, refinements based on feedback, and staff training. By fall 2020, the design and content of every page had been updated.
Feedback from a public survey on the website redesign in January may lead to additional enhancements.
Supporting Our Community During the Pandemic
The City of Coquitlam is here to help, with these resources:
- Visit www.coquitlam.ca/csrp to learn about the City’s Community Support and Recovery Plan, which is supporting the non-profit sector, businesses and residents through the pandemic;
- Visit www.coquitlam.ca/spirit for a free library of activities for all ages, including fitness, arts and culture, outdoor activities and ways to connect with your community; and
- Visit www.coquitlam.ca/covid19 for updates on City services and initiatives and COVID-19 health resources.
Coquitlam residents and businesses are also encouraged to follow the City of Coquitlam on social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) and download the CoquitlamConnect mobile app for up-to-date City information. Links are available at www.coquitlam.ca/connect.