COQUITLAM, B.C., Dec. 2, 2020 – From November 1 to March 15 each year, several types of parking restrictions are implemented in areas of Coquitlam to assist City crews to plow streets clear from curb to curb making them safer for winter driving during snow events.
- In some areas, the restrictions are both sides of the street.
- Some restrictions are on one side of the street only.
- A third type of restriction is activated every time snow is in the forecast until the end of the snow event and the streets are clear.
In all cases, residents are expected to not park on the street - all vehicles should be parked in a driveway, garage, carport or other area of their private property.
This applies to residents in secondary suites as well. Landlords must provide areas for their residents to park off the street.
Drivers and residents are asked to please make note and follow all posted parking restrictions. In addition to allowing our crews to make our streets safer, this will prevent you from having to dig out your vehicle, and will also prevent you from receiving a ticket or having your vehicle towed.
Why are Parking Restrictions Necessary?
On-street parking makes it difficult for City crews to plow the full street. There were notable snow events during our last winter season and most events covered multiple days with cold weather preventing much of the snow from melting, resulting in accumulations of snow and, in upper Westwood Plateau, more than 45 cm.
Each time a City plow truck passes, snow piles grow larger until the streets are down to single lane traffic. This makes travel increasingly difficult for residents and reaches a point where larger vehicles such as snow plow trucks, garbage trucks and fire trucks can no longer safely navigate the street.
When are the Restrictions in Place and What Do I Need to Do?
Parking restrictions are in place Nov. 1 and continue until Mar. 15, 2021 with the activated locations triggered every time snow is in the forecast until the end of the snow event and the streets are clear.
Coquitlam drivers are asked to follow all posted parking restrictions in Coquitlam, keep the streets free of parked vehicles and park in driveways and on private property.
Streets and Locations
The streets listed below have restrictions in place and our Winter Wise webpage has details and maps – please visit www.coquitlam.ca/winterwise.
- Blue Mountain Street, Chilko Drive, Corona Crescent, Dolphin Street, Hamber Court, Highland Drive, Lansdowne Drive, Pritchett Place and Steeple Drive.
- Westwood Plateau: Berkshire Crescent, Braeside Place, Chartwell Green Lane, Johnson Street, Norwood Court, Parkway Boulevard, Pinetree Way, Plateau Boulevard and Turnberry Lane.
For the locations where the restriction is ‘activated’ when there is snow in the forecast, the City will advise via the following methods:
- Via email to subscribers of our Winter Parking Restriction NotifyMe notification. Please subscribe here.
- Via the City’s social media channels: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram – please follow us!
Be Winter Wise
Coquitlam’s Winter Wise program kicks in to gear each winter to minimize the impact of snow, ice, storms and colder temperatures. While the City works to keep roads safe and reduce service disruptions, residents are encouraged to do their part by clearing sidewalks and catch basins, parking off-street to allow for plowing, and being prepared for extended power failures or impassable roads. Go to www.coquitlam.ca/winterwise to learn more about City services and resident responsibilities during the winter months.
Director, Public Works