COQUITLAM, B.C., Dec. 14, 2020 - If you’re in search of unique and wonderful gift ideas, you’re in luck. We’ve compiled this handy list of local favourites throughout Coquitlam where you’re sure to find something special to give this holiday season.
You won’t need to venture far to score these fabulous finds, and many of these places also have their products available to purchase online or by curbside pickup. From handcrafted items created by local artists to vintage treasures, here are some places to discover those favourite gifts you’ll only find in Coquitlam.
Support local artists and find something beautiful at the Place des Arts Artisan Shop. New items and artists are added regularly, featuring a wide variety of offerings ranging from toys and kids’ items to housewares and décor, beauty products, clothing and accessories, and more. You can visit the shop on Brunette Avenue during regular visitors’ hours or view the items online. Learn all of the details at www.placedesarts.ca/artisan-shop.
Find a Treasure
What do you give that person who seems to have everything? Why, a treasure, of course. At these cute shops, you’ll find irresistible items that are sure to induce smiles.
At Artisan Gifts & Flowers, you can scope out the gifts online or visit their adorable bricks and mortar location in Austin Heights. Also pay a visit (in person or online) to Rosemarie’s Treasures, which also sells local and artisan-made products.
Within Hanin Village, you might try Benatra Jewelry & Fashion, and in Coquitlam Centre you will find nearly 200 stores, so you’ll have plenty of options. For even more, check out our list of local businesses at www.visitcoquitlam.ca/shopping.
Previously loved items are making a resurgence. Think vintage trinkets such as cute retro vases or glasses, collector items and retro fashion.
You must admit, part of the joy of giving these types of gifts is the thrill of the hunt. Here are some places to mask up and begin your search: Crossroad Hospice Thrift Store on Barnet Highway and Value Village on Barnet Highway or United Boulevard.
Gifts for Kids
At Mastermind Toys, you’ll find toys, crafts and gift ideas for kids that you won’t find elsewhere. And just on the other side of Lougheed Highway, Chapters Indigo has a huge kids’ section with books, board games and toys. Coquitlam is also home to a massive Toys R Us/Babies R Us.
For pre-loved kids’ items at great prices, including everything from toys and books to clothing and sporting goods, visit Once Upon a Child in the Brunette/Lougheed Highway area.
More Great Local Gift Ideas
- Buy local beer. Try Mariner Brewing, brewed right here in Coquitlam. Go to www.marinerbrewing.com to check out all of the different types of beers.
- Consider giving gift cards to local spas, nail bars, salons, restaurants and retailers. Find a list of restaurants in Coquitlam at www.visitcoquitlam.ca/eat-drink and www.visitcoquitlam.ca/shopping for a full list of retailers.
- Buy local art. In addition to Place des Arts, scope out local galleries and framing shops. Don’t forget to purchase your art or photography supplies locally, at Opus Art Supplies or Framing & Art Centre in Coquitlam (they also make excellent stocking stuffers).
If all this local exploring makes you hungry, no need to look far for take out or dine in options. With over 300 restaurants in Coquitlam, you can be sure to find what you are looking for be it coffee, snacks, or full meals. Browse them all at www.visitcoquitlam.ca/eat-drink.
Did we miss your favourite? Tell us about it! Email email@example.com. Also, share your pictures with us on social using #explorecoquitlam.
Supporting Our Community During the Pandemic
The City of Coquitlam is here to help, with these resources:
- www.coquitlam.ca/csrp: Details about the City’s Community Support and Recovery Plan, which is supporting non-profits, businesses and residents through the pandemic;
- www.coquitlam.ca/spirit: Free activities for all ages, including fitness, arts and culture, outdoor activities and ways to stay engaged; and
- www.coquitlam.ca/covid19: City service updates and COVID-19 health resources.
Stay up-to-date about City news and service changes by:
Manager, Land Development
Acting Manager, Economic Development
City of Coquitlam