COQUITLAM, BC, Sept. 3, 2021 – Coquitlam’s Bylaw Enforcement team is sharing road safety tips to keep all pedestrians and motorists safe as students head back to school next week.
Coquitlam motorists are reminded to slow down in school zones and be extra aware of pedestrian traffic as children return to school on Tuesday, Sept. 7. The school zone speed limit is 30 km/h between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. on school days.
With a focus on public and road safety, Coquitlam’s Bylaw Enforcement team will be monitoring parking in areas around local schools and offer the following tips:
- Obey speed limits and no parking/stopping areas.
- Avoid distracted driving and keep your attention on the road.
- Watch for students walking and riding bikes to school.
- Pick-up and drop-off students in designated locations; don’t load or unload in the street.
Students and Pedestrians Are Reminded to Stop, Look, Wait
- Stop at the curb. Look for oncoming vehicles. Wait for vehicles to come to a complete stop before crossing.
- Always cross the road at an intersection or crosswalk. Don’t jaywalk.
- Avoid distractions. Put away electronic devices, cell phones and ear buds so you can hear approaching traffic.
- Be seen. Wear bright clothes or reflective gear to help increase your visibility.
Stay Up to Date on City Projects and Initiatives
Stay up to date about City news and service changes by:
Business Services & Licensing Manager
City of Coquitlam