COQUITLAM, B.C., Dec. 6, 2021– Coquitlam residents can stay and play close to home throughout December with fun, festive activities for all ages.
Stay and Play Holiday Activities
Kids and Youth Activities – Special holiday programs and interactive workshops for children and youth are running throughout December at Pinetree Community Centre (1260 Pinetree Way) and Poirier Community Centre (630 Poirier St.). For example, adult participation programs offer holiday activities to do with your child, such as little creators, story time and crafting. Youth ages 11 to 14 can participate in programs to make their own gingerbread house and holiday treats.
Adult Holiday Workshops – Get into the festive spirit with adult workshops and holiday programs that include wreath making, painting workshops, baking and cooking, movie marathons, crafting and more at Glen Pine Pavilion (1200 Glen Pine Crt.) and Dogwood Pavilion (1655 Winslow Ave.).
Festive Family Fun – Get together with the little ones in your life for a new holiday tradition with:
- Holiday movies – Gather the family and enjoy a holiday movie together. Featured films are A Christmas Story and Home Alone. Registration is open to attendees aged three and up, and require adult participation. Movies are rated PG.
- The Grinch Event – Enjoy an afternoon of fun watching The Grinch movie, nibbling cookies and making your own Grinch Christmas tree to take home. Event is for children five to 10 years old.
- Grandparent and Me: Sing-a-Long – Come with your grandchild or little one in your life to join the Glen Pine Singers Activity Group for a sing-a-long to holiday carols.
- Holiday Cheer at Pinetree – Join the festive fun on a holiday walk through Pinetree Community Centre. Make stops at crafting stations, play games, and snap photos in the winter wonderland scenes as you help us catch a snowman. Adult participation is required. Event is intended for children age one year or older.
For program details and to register for all of Coquitlam’s holiday programs and activities, visit www.coquitlam.ca/stayandplay, call 604-927-4386, or register in person at the front desk of any Coquitlam recreation facility.
All Ages Drop-in Activities
If crafts and movies aren’t your thing, Coquitlam’s recreation facilities will be open over the December break for drop-in swimming, skating, sports and fitness. Operating hours are different than usual so please visit www.coquitlam.ca/dropin or the specific facility webpages for holiday drop-in schedules. Schedules are subject to change without notice, so please call the recreation facility ahead of time if you have questions.
Get festive by attending a holiday-themed skate presented by FortisBC. These special drop-in skates include:
- Skate with Santa – Sunday, Dec. 12, 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. / 12:45 – 2:15 p.m. / 2:30 – 4 p.m.
- Holiday Sweater Skate – Sunday, Dec. 19, 1:15 – 2:30 p.m. / 2:45 – 4 p.m.
- Christmas Eve Skate – Friday, Dec. 24, 10 – 11:15 a.m. / 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- Boxing Day Skate – Sunday, Dec. 26, 10 – 11:15 a.m. / 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- New Year’s Eve Skate – Friday, Dec. 31, 10 – 11:15 a.m. / 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- New Year’s Day Skate – Saturday, Jan. 1, 10 – 11:15 a.m. / 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
All skates are drop-in (first come, first served), no pre-registration is required. Family admissions rates apply. Find more information at www.coquitlam.ca/skating.
Try A New Group Fitness Class – For Less!
Sign up for a mini set in December, to try one of the City’s registered programs at a reduced cost in the newly renovated City Centre Aquatic Complex.
- Prenatal Yoga – Mondays, 8:15 – 9:15 p.m. (Course ID# 72895)
- Chair Yoga – Tuesdays, 10:45 – 11:45 a.m. (Course ID #73025)
- Barre – Fridays, 8:15 – 9:15 p.m. (Course ID #73012)
- Ride & Pulse – Saturdays, 9 – 10 a.m. (Course ID #73011)
To register for a mini try-it set, visit www.coquitlam.ca/registration and search by the course ID# under “keyword” in the registration system. Register by phone at 604-927-4386 or visit the front desk of any City recreation centre during operating hours to register in person.
COVID-19 Mask and Vaccination Requirements
The City of Coquitlam operates within the requirements set out by the Provincial Health Officer and all current public health orders are followed including proof of vaccination requirements and mask mandates. Masks are mandatory in all public indoor spaces for people ages five and up. For specifics on when and where vaccinations and masks are required for City programs, visit www.coquitlam.ca/covid19.
Recreation Facility Supervisor