COQUITLAM, B.C., March 8, 2022 – As we approach the opening of the new Place Maillardville Community Centre, the City of Coquitlam is honouring the facility’s past while looking ahead to future offerings.
Once complete in fall 2022, the new 2,000 square metre (22,000 square foot) community centre doubles the size of the 40-year-old previous facility, and along with that comes an opportunity for programming not currently available in the Maillardville neighbourhood.
New Facility to Become City-operated
Once the new Place Maillardville Community Centre is complete, the old building will be demolished. The new facility will be operated by the City of Coquitlam, maximizing the benefit to the community by allowing residents to access the available programming using the ONE Pass and Financial Assistance for Recreation programs.
The City thanks the Société Place Maillardville Society (SPMS) for their valuable contributions and dedicated service delivery to the Maillardville neighbourhood. The City and SPMS will continue to work together to ensure continuity of service to the neighbourhood during the transition, as well as to ensure the future programming builds on what has been successfully offered over the years, reflecting the unique needs and heritage of the Maillardville neighbourhood.
Wide Range of New Programming Opportunities
The new programming opportunities in the Place Maillardville Community Centre will double what was available in the old facility and include:
- Teaching kitchen – to provide an opportunity for multicultural cooking programs, nutritional education, family picnics and youth socials on Friday nights.
- Flex space – social activity space for seniors during the day and for youth in the afternoon or evening.
- Dedicated gymnasium – as the City’s only dedicated gymnasium space, the new community centre will have many different types of activities such as drop-in sports, large fitness classes, children’s sports and active play, family time, and rental opportunities for community groups.
- Active studio – the second floor studio space with a sprung floor will offer classes for all ages including dance, yoga or tai chi, as examples.
- Children’s area –indoor play space, as well as an adjoining outdoor covered space.
Provide your Input on Future Programs
In preparation for the opening of the new facility, the City wants to hear directly from the community what type of activities and programs should be offered. Starting today, the community can visit letstalkcoquitlam.ca/pmcc to:
- View information about the new facility including floor plans and renderings
- Complete a short survey about programming interests
- Share ideas about what you’d like to see in the facility
Feedback from the community will help the City build future programming for the facility.
Facility Reflects on History While Looking Forward
The new Place Maillardville Community Centre also presents an opportunity to reflect the historical significance of the neighbourhood in a modern facility. The City is collaborating with the Coquitlam Heritage Society (CHS) in planning a large-format graphic display for the lobby including a mural of images from the City of Coquitlam Archives.
The new Community Centre will respond to changing neighbourhood needs while also honouring Maillardville’s history.
Financial Assistance Available for Recreation
It is now easier than ever to access financial support for Coquitlam’s recreation services. The City has relaunched a more user-friendly Financial Assistance for Recreation program – formerly known as Get Connected, Get Active – with easier sign-up and income verification plus more flexibility than ever. Each year, qualifying Coquitlam residents will receive 50 free drop-in visits plus a $225 credit they can use for an expanded range of admissions, passes, programs, lessons, exam fees, supplies, equipment rentals and more. For details or to register online, visit www.coquitlam.ca/financialassistancerec.
About Coquitlam’s ONE PASS
Do you enjoy drop-in swimming, skating, fitness and more in Coquitlam? The ONE PASS is your gateway to discounts for drop-in aquatics, arena, fitness and gym programs across the City. Relaunched in September 2021 with new options, the all-inclusive pass is valid at all Coquitlam recreation facilities and offers discounts based on age, pass type and frequency. Get more flexibility with 10-visit passes valid for two years, or deeper discounts with unlimited visits over a month or year. Visit www.coquitlam.ca/onepass for details, or buy at any recreation facility or online at www.coquitlam.ca/registration.
General Manager, Parks, Recreation, Culture and Facilities