COQUITLAM, B.C., May 17, 2022 – Coquitlam is inviting the community to help establish the future programming and feel of the new Place Maillardville Community Centre (PMCC) through workshop opportunities.
The new 2,000-square-metre (22,000-square-foot) community centre, scheduled to complete in fall 2022, will double the size of the 40-year-old previous facility and include a number of new amenities. In March 2022, it was announced that the new facility will be operated by the City of Coquitlam, maximizing the benefit to the community by allowing residents to access the available programming using the ONE Pass and Financial Assistance for Recreation programs.
Register for a Workshop
The City is hosting an in-person and online workshop to support the future plans for the facility including:
- Ensuring the new facility is warm and welcoming and continues to be the cornerstone of the Maillardville neighbourhood.
- Ensuring the type of programming offered reflects the needs and desires of the community, including both programs that are successful at other similar City facilities, as well as programs that have previously been successful at PMCC.
|Virtual Session||In-person Session|
Wednesday, May 25
7 – 9 p.m.
Register at letstalkcoquitlam.ca/pmcc
Saturday, May 28
1 – 3:30 p.m.
(1655 Winslow Ave.)
Free, supervised activities for kids will be offered for parents in need of childminding while participating in the session.
Register at letstalkcoquitlam.ca/pmcc
City Considering Wide Range of New Programming Opportunities
The new programming opportunities in the Place Maillardville Community Centre could include:
- Teaching kitchen – multicultural cooking programs, nutritional education, family picnics and youth socials on Friday nights.
- Flex space – social activity space for seniors during the day and for youth in the afternoon or evening.
- Dedicated gymnasium – drop-in sports, large fitness classes, children’s sports and active play, family time, and rental opportunities for community groups.
- Active studio fitness space – group fitness classes for all ages, dance, yoga, tai chi.
- Children’s area – children’s focused activities such as French and English play-and-learns, camps, and family drop-in opportunities.
Facility Reflects on History While Looking Forward
The new Place Maillardville Community Centre also presents an opportunity to reflect the historical significance of the neighbourhood in a modern facility. The City is collaborating with the Coquitlam Heritage Society (CHS) in planning a large-format graphic display for the lobby including a mural of images from the City of Coquitlam Archives.
The new Community Centre will respond to changing neighbourhood needs while also honouring Maillardville’s history.
Financial Assistance Available for Recreation
It is now easier than ever to access financial support for Coquitlam’s recreation services. The City has relaunched a more user-friendly Financial Assistance for Recreation program – formerly known as Get Connected, Get Active – with easier sign-up and income verification plus more flexibility than ever. Each year, qualifying Coquitlam residents will receive 50 free drop-in visits plus a $225 credit they can use for an expanded range of admissions, passes, programs, lessons, exam fees, supplies, equipment rentals and more. For details or to register online, visit www.coquitlam.ca/financialassistancerec.
About Coquitlam’s ONE PASS
Do you enjoy drop-in swimming, skating, fitness and more in Coquitlam? The ONE PASS is your gateway to discounts for drop-in aquatics, arena, fitness and gym programs across the City. Relaunched in September 2021 with new options, the all-inclusive pass is valid at all Coquitlam recreation facilities and offers discounts based on age, pass type and frequency. Get more flexibility with 10-visit passes valid for two years, or deeper discounts with unlimited visits over a month or year. Visit www.coquitlam.ca/onepass for details, or buy at any recreation facility or online at www.coquitlam.ca/registration.
Manager, Community Recreation and Culture Services