COQUITLAM, B.C., May 27, 2022 – Coquitlam residents can get cash grants, activity kits, insurance and more by registering a block party with the City this year.
The City’s popular block party program is back with $150 grants and free liability insurance, plus new add-ons such as tree-planting sessions and play kits with games and activities.
Emperor Stone, a long-time Coquitlam company that believes in giving back, has stepped up as this year’s Presenting Partner for the program, supporting this year’s new block party additions.
Bring the Party to Your Block
Block parties are fun neighbourhood social events that can range from a potluck meal in someone’s yard or home to a larger event involving multiple families from the street or complex. As residents return to gathering in person, block parties can provide an opportunity to reconnect with neighbours, build new friendships and create a sense of community.
Coquitlam residents can apply for a $150 grant through www.coquitlam.ca/blockparties to help with food or supply purchases, equipment rentals, entertainment or other costs – ideally sourced from Coquitlam. Local business listings can be found at www.visitcoquitlam.ca. The Coquitlam Tree Spree program will provide over 150 free trees to Coquitlam residents hosting block parties in this year.
Tree Plantings, Play kits and More
In addition to grants, this year’s registered block party organizers can:
- Request a visit from ambassadors of the City’s Tree Spree tree-planting initiative, who will bring one or two free ornamental trees and demonstrate how to plant and care for them;
- Request to borrow a block party play kit that includes balls, cones, Frisbees, skipping ropes and even a rubber chicken;
- Download a block party handbook with great activity ideas from www.coquitlam.ca/blockparties; and
- Request road closures for cul-de-sacs, lanes and neighbourhood roads.
Block Party Grants and Guidelines
To be eligible for a $150 City grant and free liability insurance, block party organizers must:
- Be Coquitlam residents and host a block party among their adjacent neighbours in Coquitlam;
- Submit an application at www.coquitlam.ca/blockparties at least 10 days before the event; and
- Provide a post-event evaluation and three photos within two weeks of the event.
Other guidelines for block parties in Coquitlam include:
- Obtaining a permit from Coquitlam Fire & Rescue in advance if planning to set off fireworks (see www.coquitlam.ca/fireworks);
- Turning off any music outside through speakers by 10 p.m.; and
- Properly disposing of recyclables and garbage after the event.
For more information, visit www.coquitlam.ca/blockparties or call 604-927-6968.
About Presenting Partner Emperor Stone
Emperor Stone has been delivering quality stone products in Coquitlam for 20 years. It’s important for Emperor Stone to give back to our community. Sustainability to us involves not only our daily fabrication operations but also includes our commitment to fight climate change through our tree planting initiatives. To learn more about Emperor Stone as well as our Tree Planting Initiatives, visit www.emperortrade.com/sustainability.
About Coquitlam Tree Spree
Coquitlam Tree Spree is a tree-planting initiative and public-education program with the overall purpose of recognizing and promoting the value of the City’s tree canopy. Whether on public or private land, Coquitlam’s trees offer many benefits for our health, well-being and the environment. In 2022, the Tree Spree’s inaugural year, volunteers, staff and residents will plant 10,000 trees—double the City’s typical tree-planting target—in both public spaces and private properties throughout the community. Learn more by visiting www.coquitlam.ca/treespree.
Cultural Services Manager