Encroachment Permits & Agreements

From time to time, it is necessary or desirable for property owners, residents, developers or businesses to encroach into City owned and/or controlled land. The City of Coquitlam Encroachment into City Owned and/or Controlled Lands Policy (PDF) allows the City’s Engineering and Public Works Department the ability to grant this permission based on an approved application. Each application will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Encroachment permits or agreements are required for the temporary or the permanent use of City-controlled lands such as boulevards, road allowances, right-of-ways, etc. There are three types of Encroachment Agreements / Permits:

Temporary Encroachment for Residents/Businesses - Examples

  • Disposal or debris bins
  • Storage or moving containers

Temporary Encroachment for Developers/Contractors - Examples

  • Construction fence
  • Construction trailer
  • Site office

Permanent Encroachment Agreement for Property Owners/Businesses - Examples

  • Awnings
  • Fence or retaining wall
  • Irrigation systems
  • Structure