The following checklist will get you started to prepare your business to respond to and recover from a major emergency:
- Brief staff and assign emergency tasks so they know what they have to do before, during and after an emergency.
- Assemble emergency supplies to last the average number of people on the premises for at least 72 hours.
- Assess/Minimize building vulnerability to potential hazards.
- Identify critical resources for your business and establish backup suppliers.
- Identify vital records and back up or store duplicates off the premises.
- Establish alternative communications methods with employees, suppliers and customers.
- Review insurance and purchase additional coverage if required.
- Coordinate emergency plans with other tenants, neighbours and business partners.
For more detailed information, visit the Emergency Preparedness for Industry and Commerce Council website.