Applied Science Technologists and Technicians (ASTTBC)
Fire Protection Technicians Network (FPTN)
All technicians performing inspections, testing or maintenance of fire safety equipment or systems within Coquitlam must be certified under the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians Act of BC, or certified and in good standing with the Fire Protection Technicians Network (FPTN) .
Fire protection equipment includes, but is not limited to:
- Fire alarm systems
- Automatic sprinkler systems
- Special extinguishing systems
- Portable fire extinguishers
- Water supply systems for fire protection
- Standpipe and hose systems
- Fixed pipe fire protection systems in commercial
- Kitchen exhaust systems
- Smoke control measures
- Emergency power installations
- Emergency lighting systems
Fire protection technicians inspecting and servicing equipment can only perform in the discipline in which they are certified and must affix the proper tags to equipment and devices, as required by the Applied Science Technologists and Technicians of BC (ASTTBC) and the BC Fire Code.