Animal Regulation Bylaws

Bylaw Enforcement

City of Coquitlam Bylaw Enforcement, Licensing and Animal Services Department is responsible for animal control in the City of Coquitlam.

As a pet owner or a possible pet owner, it is important to familiarize yourself with the City’s policies around pet care. The City’s policies are outlined in these City Bylaws:


Please note that, with the exception of sheltering services provided to the City of Port Moody, we provide services for the City of Coquitlam only. Port Moody strays are housed at our shelter, but we do not handle Port Moody bylaw complaints. You must phone Port Moody Bylaw Enforcement directly at 604-469-4541 for requests for service in Port Moody.

In the Tri-Cities, please call the relevant department responsible for Bylaw Enforcement/Animal Control in your area:

  • Anmore
    Village of Anmore at 604-469-9877
  • Belcarra
    Village of Belcarra Bylaw Officer at 604-632-6722
  • Port Coquitlam
    City of Port Coquitlam Bylaw Services at 604-927-5440 or Countryside Kennels (contractor) 604-945-0125
  • Port Moody
    City of Port Moody Bylaw Services at 604-469-4541 (please note that the Coquitlam Shelter will accept stray animals found in Port Moody if brought to the shelter, but we will not pick up animals in Port Moody unless requested so by the Port Moody Bylaw Services or the Port Moody Police)